Why am I writing this blog?
My name is Charley Jones. I’m an English expat turned Australian citizen with a passion for getting on the water and being in the great outdoors. I love sailing and was lured from the beautiful and enchanting coast of Cornwall in the UK, to the equally beautiful shores of Australia by the famous Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. I also love food (which always tastes better outdoors) and my faithful Labrador Rhubarb, who is never far behind me. I am keen to pass on and share my passion with my family through our adventures in the great outdoors. I hope that this blog will inspire you to do the same.
When I became a mother at the end of 2007 I spent more time at home than I had ever done in my life. This is not always a bad thing as there is nothing like a cosy and welcoming home in which to take refuge from modern life. But I also continue to crave the relaxation that only a dose of salt water and fresh air can provide. So in 2010 my mission is to get out more and record my adventures on Secret Water, so that family, friends and likeminded people can share and benefit from my experiences on the water and great outdoors with a two year old and a Labrador in tow.
What will you read about on Secret Water?
- Practical information for successful outdoor adventures with (or without) kids (including the furry four legged kind)
- Great places to take your tinny
- Great places to go without your tinny
- My foray into amateur fishing (I’ve been watching too much River Cottage and am convinced I can one day catch a Cray fish myself)
- Rhubarb’s Dog Blog; the outdoor dog’s life
- Alfresco Food; inspiration for “eating out”
- Safety related information (from reliable sources)
- Useful things; reviews of useful gear that you can take on your adventures
- Beautiful things; that we hope to capture on camera
- Guest blogs from inspiring people
- What’s on: a directory or inspiring and adventurous things to do and see
Hopefully you will also get to read about other people’s experiences and share yours with us too. We look forward to hearing your comments, feedback and the topics you’d like to discuss. You can also get in touch via the email addresses listed on the contacts page.
When was the last time you went on an adventure?